Saturday, August 23, 2008

Effective Communication Skills (Blog Post #1)

Being able to communicate effectively in everyday life is very essential for me. Having effective communication skills such as interpreting nonverbal communication cues allows me to know how the listeners feel about the things that I am talking about. For instance, when a listener is scratching his head and looking puzzled, it shows that he does not get your message. In contrast, when the listener is nodding and giving a sign of approval with a thumb up, it shows that he agrees to what you are saying and likes the message that you brought across to him.

Having effective communication skills also allow me to forge good relationships with friends, clients and family members. It allows me to be able to resolve conflicts easily too. For example, when I know that my friend is angry with the derogatory words that I used, I can repair the bad feelings by apologizing to him. Furthermore, having effective communication skills allow me to avoid cultural conflicts. For instance, when I’m eating with my Japanese friends, it is perfectly fine for me to burp when I finish my food because it means I appreciate my food but if I’m eating with other ethnic friends then it will be rude if I burped.

Besides being good at conveying messages to my listeners, it allows me to be a good listener as well. For example, when my lecturer is speaking, I will sit up straight and not slouch so I can be attentive and not fall asleep. It is also very distracting if my mobile phone is on because someone might call or SMS me so I will switch off my mobile phone when I am in class. By being a good listener, I will be able to evaluate and examine the messages that are conveyed. It also allows me to sieve out important information and ideas from the speaker’s speech.

Therefore, having effective communication skills are definitely important in my life. It allows me to be able to interpret nonverbal cues, forge good relationships with people and also develop myself as a good listener and speaker.

6 comments:

miranda said...

Hey Gary! This is Miranda. Coincidentally, the both of us talked asbout the Japanese! Anyway, I think you did a fine job in writing this post. Clear, concise and detailed. However,I also do believe that when someone nods, it could be s sign of respect and appreciation. It may not necessary mean that he is agreeable to what you have said. I think alot of it depends also on the body language other than the ones you have listed. If the person is folding his arm while you are talking to him, it could be that he is defensive, or he could even be feeling more superior than you. Therefore, when talking to such person, it would be advisable to look into his eyes and show that you are talking to him and respect is what you want. Anyhow, you did a fantastic job in stating your view. Good job!!

Matthew said...

Hi Gary, nonverbal cues are definitely very useful when you are trying to pick up clues on how the person is reacting to what you are saying and changing your tact if necessary to not upset the person. Like Miranda said, I also believe that there are many other non-distinct nonverbal cues are that more difficult to pick up that may be just as important. Sometimes, people do not want you to realize that they actually disagree with what you said or are insulted by what you said and it requires a concious effort to sense such agitation, so it would be really useful to be able to be sensitive in this aspect.
Next, I agree that we have to be mindful of cultural barriers and watch how we speak and avoid the slang that we may be comfortable with in the company of foreign friends so that they may not feel so alienated by us.
Lastly, I would definitely benefit from improving my listening skills in lectures as focussing my attention on the lecturer is especially tedious when the 2 hour lecture feels like it's 5 hours long.

Illya Nafiza said...

Hey Gary,
I agree that by having effective communication skills, lesser conflict in a relationships will occur. However, i think active listening is crucial here, especially in relationship between friends and family members.

In my case, I would be much more alert only when it comes to relationships between clients as it has a higher importance since it involves work. But I do realize that I hate listening when it comes to friends and family. I think its because we are so familiar to that group of people that we think we 'know' what they meant. And thats when all the misunderstanding between friends and family members occurs.

What say you?

Brandon said...

Hello Gary, cross cultural communication is certainly an important issue especially when our world has become more global and national boundaries have eroded. Other than a possessing a good knowledge of a foreign country’s language, it would surely be a bonus to know their respective local nonverbal communication cues well too. From my informal experiences with foreigners, they become elated when I demonstrate some knowledge of their culture. This could also serve as a purposeful conversation topic with them too. From a workplace perspective, being able to communicate effectively, both verbally and nonverbally, with clients from diverse cultures would definitely generate more business opportunities. Hence being an asset to an organisation as an employee.

daijing said...

Hi Gary. I agree that ability to be able to interpret non-verbal communication cues from the listener can allow a better understanding of his or her thoughts and feelings. However, nonverbal cues are like words. They can have different meanings in different context or environment. Sometimes, speaker may read too much into it which may not be what the listener meant. We all agree that effective communication skills allows better understanding between two parties. To me, I feel that it's vice versa. Better understanding of the other person can also allow us to read each other's messages more easily and accurately. I think that's what makes communication between people with closer relationship much easier than those who are not so close. Therefore, i feel that effective communication skills and understanding is actually a spiral.

grace kim said...

I agree with Miranda. Your blog is clear and concise and yet you have managed to cover different aspects of communication skills - NVCs, interpersonal skills, intercultural skills as well as active listening. Good!